Please note – If these emails do not display correctly in the email application that you use e.g. Microsoft Outlook, Gmail, Hotmail, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail, Yahoo Mail etc you can always view the content on the Club’s website. Click <www.birkebeiner.org.au>.
Snow Australia Medal Recipient
Snow Australia has announced one more cross-country recipient of the Snow Australia Medal from the 1994 Winter Olympic Games in Lillehammer Norway. It is Birkie club member Mark Gray.
Click [HERE] to read all about Mark and his journey becoming a Winter Olympian on the club’s website Ski History page (scroll down to section 7).
From the Race Secretary — Ann Bellingham
Rocky Valey Rush & Sun Valley Ramble
Although the event was cancelled this year, I would like to acknowledge the following:
- Thanks to the small team of local Birkies on the race committee who are prepared to get a race up and going for those still able to attend. Unfortunately it was not to be and Victorian Covid lockdown was implemented from 1pm on Saturday afternoon, the day before.
- Thanks also to the 33 entrants we had up until Friday night for your support!!
- Thanks to Meg Crebbin who came up with a fantastic poster this year.
- Thanks to Geoff Sorenson for the planning to get the course prepared for the day.
- Also thanks to Michal Trnka of Alpine Timing for all his work on the entry side of things, generating certificates and also for getting information to participants and also for fielding lots of enquires and the occasional criticism.
- Also many thanks to Snow, Trek and Travel who were once again prepared to sponsor the event, even though last year and this year have not been great for snow related businesses.
Maybe we can finally get something going in 2022!!
Snow Australia eNews & XC News — subscribe
Open up the Snow Australia website <www.snow.org.au> and scroll to the bottom of the home page. Fill in your name and email address and click subscribe.
On the next screen check • Cross Country Community Update AND • eNews and click subscribe.
Click [HERE] to read the latest issue of Cross Country Community News edited by Finn Marsland Snow Australia’s Cross Country Skiing Program Director. It’s a quality publication.
Note — If you go to the News menu on the Snow Australia website you can also access these publications.
Birkie Bits by Nordic Ned
- Virtual Kangaroo Hoppet – Entries to date 1,173. Go to <www.hoppet.com.au> for more information.
- Buffs — How to Wear a Buff. Click [HERE] to view 14 ways.
- Early Skating Techniques — Click [HERE] to view the short video (1:23).
- Facebook page. Search for Falls Creek XC (public group with 1.3K members).
- Facebook page. Search for Birkebeiner Nordic Ski Club (private group with 205 members).
Looking Back – Hoppet #1 (1991)
- Who was responsible. Click [HERE] to read a short summary from the Hoppet Gazette (the Hoppet News Bulletin at the time).
- President’s welcome message i.e. Bob Flower. Click [HERE].