A XC ski program for kids from Kindergarten to Grade 6
The program was the inspiration of Jim Gargan who in 2004 with the help of other club members ran novelty races, games and skill activities for young children in the Nordic bowl.
The aim of the Junior Joey program is to provide young children with a positive cross country experience where participation and fun are the main elements. The Junior Joey program commences at the start of Term 2 with pre season activities which include roller skiing and blading, bike riding, rogaining, fun run and hikes.
Again junior races will be held throughout the season called the 2016 ‘Snow, Trek & Travel Mini Series’ at Falls Creek starting in the Nordic Bowl. These comprise low key races over distances of 0.5, 1.5 & 2.5km using both the classical (C) and skating (F) styles. These are ideal introductory races for Junior Joeys and Junior Birkies.
The 2016 dates are:
- Sunday 26th June — Snow, Trek & Travel Mini Series #1 (C) – 11am
- Sunday 3rd July — Junior Joey #1. Meet at the Nordic Bowl – 11am
- Saturday 23rd July — Junior Joey #2. Meet at the Nordic Bowl – 11am
- Sunday 24th July — Snow, Trek & Travel Mini Series #2 (F) – 11am
- Saturday 6th August — Snow, Trek & Travel Mini Series #3 (C) – 11:00am
- Sunday 7th August — Junior Joey #3. Meet at the CLUBHOUSE at 11am for a Snowgaine event.
- Saturday 27th August— Joey Hoppet. Nordic Bowl at 9:50 (7km) (F)
- Sunday 4th September — Snow, Trek & Travel Mini Series #4 (F) starts at 10: 45 am.
Junior Joey events are run by parents and usually involve such activities as: novelty races, bumps and jumps, fun games and activities, snowgaines and family dress-up days. The juniors then progress on to the Birkebeiner Junior Program (Junior Birkies) which gives the children an opportunity to improve technique and further develop their personal skiing skills. Click [HERE] for details.
Contact – Michelle Forrer
Mob: 0417 206 672
Nordic Bowl Fun…